Monday, March 10, 2014

Wineducation: The Miracle Machine


Over the weekend I read an interesting article in the Los Angeles Times about the future of wine and it's being called: The Miracle Machine. The proposed Miracle Machine is the blessed counter top product that would give the everyday wine lover the ability to turn water (and a few prepackaged ingredients) into wine.  

Two big time wine guys (with lots of fancy wine related titles after their names), have been burning the midnight oil alongside the computer geniuses in Silicon Valley, to make the water into wine Miracle Machine a reality.  The plan is this: a modular counter top fermentation machine will sync with an app downloaded onto a smart phone, that is then partnered with prepackaged ingredients (sold by the company) and water to create your very own wine.  This machine’s purpose is not to produce the kind of homemade-wine of our grandparents generation, but actual Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, and more beloved wine varieties.  
The Miracle Machine (photo credit: themiraclemachine.net)

Of course, the ability to create your own Cabernet that won’t cause blindness (a la moonshine), comes at the hefty price tag of $499 (the prepacked ingredients pricing was not listed). I am not against dropping some hard earned bucks on a great tech item, but I would need to try some of this Miracle Machine vino before I could make this commitment.  Also, I was wondering, at my current Middle-Class Mama lifestyle, would I be willing give up on my other go-to wines and stick strictly with my grape-concentrate tap water wine made on my counter only?

Part of my love affair with wine includes the trip to the store, browsing the different varieties, enjoying the label art, and the thrill of finding a new inexpensive great wine.  I don't know how long the rush of cultivating the miracle of water into to wine would last before I would stray, looking for a new wine to shake things up a bit.

As a wine lover, are you willing to spend the big bucks on the Miracle Machine in favor of creating your own wine, or would you rather stick to purchasing the wines you know and love from your local market?

Check out the Miracle Machine at their website here to see their proposed wonder of turning water into to wine.

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering, at my current Middle-Class Mama lifestyle, would I be willing give up on my other go-to wines and stick strictly with my grape-concentrate tap water wine made on my counter only. rowing machines

    ReplyDelete