Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Wine 8:Trader Joe's Vinas Chilenas Reserva Cabernet Sauvignon

It is no secret that I was beyond disappointed in Trader Joe's when they decided to up the price on my beloved Charles Shaw wine (fifty cents more a bottle adds up when you are buying multiple bottles at a shot), but the TJ's does have a good wine selection with fair prices. Out of respect to the store that changed the way many housewives made healthy choices for their family, I made a special trip to Joe's to pick up a bottle of wine to share with you, dear readers.

The bottle of wine I chose for this post is, Trader Joe's Vinas Chilenas Reserva Cabernet Sauvignon 2012, at the honorable price of $2.99 that was conveniently placed on the middle shelf, which this is not always the case with budget friendly wines. I was interested in this Vinas Chilenas particularly because of the price, fifty cents more a bottle than the Charles Shaw, that made me think that this was Joe's version of stepping up their wine game, so I was in.

Time to get to work, sipping that is, so I poured a glass and....I was not blown away, and I had such high hopes for this wine.  The Vinas Chilenas Cabernet Sauvignon has a pleasant enough aroma, which is how I would similarly describe the flavor, simply pleasant enough.  The Vinas Chilenas has an woodsy oak flavor with a touch of black licorice which causes the wine to be a little on the dry side. My overall opinion is that  Trader Joe's Vinas Chilenas Reserva Cabernet Sauvignon is worthy of its $2.99 price tag, but not much more than that.  The bright side is that people are "into" Trader Joe's, as to say open minded to their self labeled products, and the bottle's presentation of the Vinas Chilenas Cab looks like it's worth more than it's $2.99 price point, so I would say you could safely bring the bottle to a dinner with friends or family as a, "I thought we would try something different tonight," bottle of wine and you would look like the thoughtful guest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment